I think this is an important topic, and I hope that collectively we can generate ideas to tackle this paradox, (may be to too strong a word?).  The paradox is this: people who seek low price products often get disproportionally lower service (=output x longevity) from the payment in comparison from well made products, therefore over time may pay higher amount of money for the same service.  But this rational thinking has not stopped people from doing so, particularly for the cash constrained.
A PAYG model could solve the upfront cash issue, and allow the consumer to make chices from a wider range of products.  The question is if this can be done conveniently, cheaply and reliably.
We are all familiar with coin-operated electricity meter or laundry-mart style shared utility, but I think for a low-cost solar lighting, or even solar home system, product, convenience of operation and low collecting cost must be ranked high in the design of such a system.
I personally favor cell-phone based payment solution, where the payment-confirmation protocol is well established.  What remains is a way to reliably activate a product upon payment confirmation. I am sure each product manufacturer has its own implementation ideas, right?
Common challenges remain in many areas, delinquency definitely among them.  Ultimately, some sort of credit system is needed, and here I think a PAYG scheme would work best when managed through micro-financing community.
Of course there is also the reverse side of the problem: how would a consumer trust a payment system that is established by a product company?  Here again we could learn from, eve build on, established cell-phone banking systems in some countries like Kenya.
Rental, phased payments and financing models can all be considered variations to a general PAYG theme, I would suggest.
Just some quick thoughts...look forward to hearing more from this group!
Huashan

Views: 278

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Huashan,

These are the current pay-as-you-go solar providers:
http://bennu-solar.com/resources/by-activity/products/wide-range-so...

(there are a couple of more startups at stealth mode..)

Also, I'd say Eduardo is a great person to talk with, as he runs SolarAid/SunnyMoney pay-as-you-go operations.

I think this is related and useful:

http://www.paygsolutions.com/interfaces.htm

Yotam - that link doesn't work, could you check it.

- Mitra
Lumeter Networks
- (PAYG technology for SHS and Minigrids)

Thanks, Mitra. Yes, thanks, I think that company is out.. or maybe renamed..?

I keep everything I know about PAYG here:

http://bennu-solar.com/pay-as-you-go-enabled-solar-solutions/

Hope it helps a bit.

Hi Huashan, 

This topic is very interesting and in SunnyMoney we are working with many partners to develop and pilot PAYG product. In SunnyMoney, I'm actually the responsible for these projects (Eduardo used to be the manager of the Innovation Programme up to 2013).

You can check this interesting report from CGAP: http://www.cgap.org/publications/access-energy-digital-finance-mode...

Please feel free to contact me to discuss more this topic! 

Best,

Vincenzo

RSS

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

Latest Activity

iboxs Technologies( UK) updated their profile
Mar 5
iboxs Technologies( UK) replied to Evan Mills's discussion Field Projects: Africa
"Project : Lighting West Africa Dates: 27 Feb 2016 Location : Benin CEO : Captain Jon Organisation :…"
Mar 5
Sowmya Suryanarayanan joined Evan Mills's group
Thumbnail

Pay-As-You-Go strategies

This group is for discussion of innovative approaches to financing off-grid lighting products. A…See More
Mar 1
Sowmya Suryanarayanan commented on Sowmya Suryanarayanan's blog post REACHING THE BOP: MICRO-GRID PAYMENT AND METERING SOLUTIONS – PART II
"Thanks Sridhar. Glad you found the piece informative."
Mar 1
Drew Corbyn joined Evan Mills's group
Thumbnail

Job Notices

Post information here on jobs available or soughtSee More
Feb 16
Aaron Wong joined Evan Mills's group
Thumbnail

Products

Post information here about specific productsSee More
Jan 24
Patrick Velasco updated an event
Thumbnail

3rd Africa Mini Grids Summit 2016 at Nairobi, Kenya

November 16, 2016 to November 18, 2016
The Only Authoritative Platform to Meet Relevant Industry Stakeholders and Deep Dive into Issues…See More
Jan 20
Aaron Wong replied to Evan Mills's discussion Field Projects: Africa
"Hi Yoseph, it looks good, how about the quality of the solar lamp?"
Jan 13
Aaron Wong updated their profile
Jan 13
Nicolas Couzin updated their profile
Jan 13
Gary Zhang updated their profile
Nov 24, 2015
Profile IconElisa Lai and Valentine Eku were featured
Nov 24, 2015